Thursday, January 27, 2011

Eight Miles

So far the eight mile runs have been the biggest challenge.  I can finish the eight with a bit of walking toward the end, so I just keep trying to remember that a month ago I thought four miles was a challenge.  It's amazing how much a body can change and when I am training for these Team in Training events, I am always so grateful for that.  Distance is not an issue as long as I do a little walking, but pace certainly is, so on the short run each week, I am doing interval training and I hope that will help me increase my speed over the next three months.  Another challenge is what to eat before and after these longer runs.  I need enough calories and carbohydrates before the long runs so that I don't get worn out and then enough protein after the runs to help my muscles recover.  Since I'm also trying to take off weight and I am eating a vegan diet, this is taking some experimenting.  I'll be off to Trader Joe's this weekend to stock up!

Tonight I'm going to the premier of "Forks Over Knives" at the Cedar Lee which includes a panel discussion with Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn, his son Rip and Dr. Colin Campbell.  I've been really looking forward to this since I have read both Esselstyn books (father and son) and Dr. Campbell's work is cited all the time (China Study). 

We're doing ten miles on our Saturday group run which I'm looking forward to since I really enjoy the runs in the park.  The team aspect also helps and makes it seems easier than being on the treadmill for the same distance. 

I spend alot of time thinking about my parents when I run.  Hoping that by changing my life through exercise and plant-based eating I can change the outcome of my health.  I think about how much they suffered and know that the discomfort I feel is nothing compared to what they went through.  I also know they are proud of me and sending lots of blessings my way.  All of that helps me continue to put one foot in front of the other! 

1 comment:

  1. Just remember that you "get to" go out there and run when others don't or can't! Every run just start it with saying "I get to run ____ miles today!" :)

    ReplyDelete